I am an energetic creative with over 20 years of experience providing successful design solutions. By combining a youthful outlook with a classical approach and an eye for the contemporary I maintain a modern positioning without being cliché. I am comfortable with all design media and able to take projects from initial concept to final printed piece. I have a keen eye for trend spotting and incorporating current artistic styles, as well as traditional ideals, into eye-catching and results-driven graphic compositions. I have a superior knowledge of the prepress and printing industries assuring that expectations are accurately reflected in the final product.
Design | Illustration | Retouching | Color Correction | Photo Composition | Social Media | Project Conception and Design
Project Management | Training | Consulting | Staff Mentoring | Team Building
Entertainment Cruises | Chicago, IL | 2010 - 2015
The nation’s largest dining cruise company
Senior Graphic Designer
Maintain the design integrity of 8 brands spread across 13 cities for a total of 30 vessels.
- Directed designers, interns, copywriters and photographers in fulfilling the creative and marketing demands of 13 cities for their diverse brands and vessels while maintaining brand recognition.
- Created digital marketing materials for a range of online and interactive usage including PDFs, interactive emails, Flash display ads, web ads, web headers, kiosks and other user experience interfaces.
- Designed traditional marketing materials for a range of hard advertising media including published ads, billboards, television commercials, posters, flyers and corporate items.
- Kept the material on the many social media networks on trend by maintaining image content, style and quality.
- Tastefully broke brand standards in the occasional one-off marketing materials for specialty cruises, special events, charters or large organizations.
- Established brand and brand standards for new acquisitions.
- Acted as print liaison creating and discussing possible cost-cutting procedures as well as exploring new options in the printing industry.
- Handled major and minor troubleshooting issues and maintained a very respectful relationship with IT.
- Learned, and became efficient in, various additional applications and programs as the need provided.
- Provided support for both the main web site and the blogging site by providing images, concepts and code.
Material Handling Illustrated | Sycamore, IL | 2009 - 2010
Monthly regional trade publication.
Senior Graphic Designer
Conceptualized, designed and produced a full color, thirty-six page magazine.
- Developed all promotional and sales material including media kits, sales sheets, ad campaigns and business collateral responsible in driving readership to over 23,000.
- Managed a staff of four writers, three salespeople, two graphic designers, one web designer and one photographer.
- Organized, supervised and conducted all activities associated with maintaining a tight deadline including all prepress and production necessary to deliver the entire publication and supporting materials according to the print schedule.
- Other creative duties included designing all ads for advertisers as necessary, researching and contributing topics for writers, writing two recurring articles a month as well as all article headlines, attending and conducting photo shoots, contracting and supervising various freelance creatives and attending networking functions as a representative of the company.
Re:solution Advertising | Mobile, AL / Bartlett, IL | 2005 - 2009
Boutique design agency
Senior Graphic Designer
Hired, directed, supervised and trained designers, photographers, illustrators and/or marketers in the conception and execution of relevant profit generating design ideas.
- Redesigned an antiquated publication for the Commemorative Air Force, increasing readership and growth from a twenty-eight page, black and white quarterly magazine to a monthly, forty-four page full color publication.
- Designed and produced a new twenty-four page, full color, quarterly publication for the educational system of Georgia which had such a successful response that an additional publication was created for the Florida market with plans to expand nationwide.
- Orchestrated the branding and opening of an upscale Aveda salon driving demand and revenues that eventually forced growth from a single, back-room, skin care center to a successful, five room store front salon.
- Created all promotional material, business collateral and over 65 pieces of original interior art, for an up-start seafood grill resulting in one of the most successful restaurants in that over saturated market on the Gulf Coast.
Freelance Designer | New York, NY | 1992 - 2005
In tandem with holding down a position at the following job I maintained a freelance presence supporting such clients as The New York Philharmonic, the New York City Ballet and the March of Dimes.
- Designed and created all marketing materials for the grand opening of a local opera theatre, as well as provided all further design support, which resulted in boosting membership the first year by 25% and increasing membership every year thereafter.
- Trained the staff of a child’s clothing manufacturing company in PhotoShop and Quark enabling them to make the jump from traditionally created silk screen designs to computer generated print-ready templates.
- Restructured and reorganized the look and feel of a major financial institution to be more consumer friendly and generally more accepted.
McCann Erickson | New York, NY | 2002 - 2003
The largest advertising agency in the world
Set-up, supervised and maintained the first on-site, self-sufficient, high-end prepress department for the New York branch dissolving the need for outside vendors.
- Worked with the VP of Print Production to establish the needs, expectations and budget of the company in relation to the creation of a new department that would handle all of their prepress requirements.
- Ordered, set-up and maintained all computer and proofing equipment necessary to create the department.
- Met with Art Directors, Designers and Print Producers to discuss retouching, color correction and any other artistic or prepress actions necessary for a project to achieve the optimal results expected from such a successful agency.
- Guided and directed support staff in the proper execution of all major design and prepress programs and equipment.
Education: Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design | Minor in Painting University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama (Won 1st Place, 2nd Place and Best of Show in Senior Art Exhibit) Member of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals